Monday, December 29, 2014

Never Too Old To Be Parented

As a mother of four I've had plenty of opportunity to parent but I rarely do I feel parented. Yesterday was an exception. Just a few days earlier I'd been repeating myself for the umpteenth time as I encouraged one to, "Be the best 'you' you can be and don't let other people's behavior sway you."  Then a funny thing happened in my home. Whether my eyes were opened or it just sneaked up on me, I can't be sure, but suddenly I was discontent. My kids we uncooperative!  Over the years we've had assigned chores, allowance, fancy charts and incentives-- but it usually comes down to me reminding my kids to pitch in and help out. Yesterday I'd become so discontent with my family's behavior I was considering going on 'strike' and being just as uncooperative as I'd perceived them to be. My very own philosophy, the one I'd shared so many times, "Be the best 'you' you can be, regardless of others behavior" did not return to me. I was stuck!  Then my heavenly Parent reminded me of this philosophy by using a friend. First he reminded me of Galatians 6 - "Do not become weary in being your best! Eventually you'll see the results of your efforts so don't miss an opportunity to be your best!"  Then he mentioned the importance of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience and 'bearing with' others -- none of which I'd been practicing during my self focused grumbling fest.  Next I was reminded that, with a little effort I could change my attitude -- if I wanted to.  By focusing on the good instead of the negative I could renew my way of thinking and embrace an attitude of gratitude.  Finally, my friend reminded me that my spiteful desire to go 'on strike' was not going to accomplish anything good and it certainly wasn't going to model what I'd been telling my kids all these years: "Don't let others behavior sway your decision to be the best you can be." The best thing of all is that my friend was just sharing something he'd been considering and had no idea that he was reminding me of some very important principals.  Yet, even with this personal pep-talk, it wasn't easy to overcome my discontented feelings. But as I made the deliberate choice to prepare the dinner I had vowed NOT to fix, as I sat with the children I had decided NOT to grace with my presence, as I spent time with the ones I'd been given to love, I knew I'd made the better choice to be the best I could be. For them and for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this please leave a comment to encourage others to read it!