Friday, September 18, 2015

Why Do Some People See Dramatic Results In Ketosis... And Others Don't?



I recently celebrated with a reader when she told me her husband had lost 13 pounds since downloading Ketones Aren't From Motown in August! However, she went on to say that she felt disappointed to have only lost 3 pounds. This isn't the first time I've heard a story like this and it got me wondering why some people experience radical results and others have just ho-hum results.  Since that conversation I have given this a lot of thought.   For me, a lot of thought amounts to a lot of words!!! so I'll share my thoughts in a series of blogs. 

Before I go on let me share a simple way I think of the glucose-ketosis relationship: I think of each of us as having a 'glucose tank' which will look different depending on what you're eating. 

  • ·         Your tank may be full and overflowing (with the 'overflow' turning into future fuel, aka 'fat').
  • ·         Your tank may be full-ish, but not overflowing.
  • ·         Your tank may be nearly empty with its contents being frequently used up so that your body needs to find another source of fuel - i.e. ketones. 


I think there are a few factors that may cause results to vary between two people who begin eating with the goal of entering into ketosis. First, what was their carb intake before ketosis? If Person One's average daily carbohydrate intake was at least the FDA recommend 300-375 grams per day, cutting back to 30 grams would produce radical results.  If Person Two was eating fewer carbs, say 150 grams or less, and cuts back to 30 grams then she or he would (logically speaking) see only half the results of Person One. There are a couple reasons for this. 
 First, carbs retain 2-3 times their weight in water so reducing carbs reduces water retention and voila! you've lost weight.
 Secondly, and I think more importantly, when our bodies first experience a drastic glucose reduction there is an adjustment period as the body re-learns how 'switch over' to a ketosis based metabolism.  The body very likely will overcompensate at first and that is why the extra ketones 'spill over' into your urine, breath and body odors. During this adjustment period your body will likely need to relearn how to transform body fat into fuel.  Depending on how slowly or quickly your body makes the adjustment will determine how much you'll lose right away.
In future blogs I'll share a personal experience of Ketosis vs. Results and other reasons why I think results vary from person to person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this please leave a comment to encourage others to read it!