Saturday, September 19, 2015

Why Do Some People See Dramatic Results In Ketosis... And Others Don't? -part 2



I think there are a few factors that may cause results to vary between two people who begin eating with the goal of entering into ketosis. …

The theory I shared in the previous blog comes from my own experience. When I first began eating low carb I'd been used to filling my 'tank' with at least 300 carb grams a day, maybe more.  I think my body pretty much freaked out when I limited my intake to 30 grams a day and it scrambled to make enough fuel for my brain and body to run efficiently.  Between the reduction in water retention and ketosis I lost several pounds the first week to 10 days. After nearly two years of eating low carb (under 75 grams a day) I decided to "enter ketosis" again to recapture the experience and refresh my memory for the sake of new readers.  (I put enter ketosis in quotes because I think I am nearly always in a mild state of ketosis.)  During this time I faithfully averaged about 30 carb grams a day but I never experienced the side effects of ketosis. I kept waiting for those lovely signs I describe in Ketones Aren't From Motown but they didn't show up.  And though I lost 4 pounds, it took longer.

My theory is that my body has gotten very efficient at balancing a ketone based metabolism.  It doesn't go crazy and make excessive amounts of ketones, some of which are wasted, like it did in the beginning.  My body has learned what I need and makes 'enough' ketones to run efficiently.  It won't take from my body fat unnecessarily.  As a result of my body's efficiency I can still lose weight through ketosis, but I won't see the same dramatic results I did at first.

In my next blog I'll tell you another reason why I think different people experience different results when in ketosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this please leave a comment to encourage others to read it!