Tuesday, January 27, 2015

To Detox or Not to Detox...found out I was following an Infamous Master Plan...



With the start of the New Year I decided to do a 3 day cleanse to 'detox' my body and give my digestive tract a break. I embarked on a three day fast following a plan (made famous by Hollywood stars) which I have done periodically over the years - something by the name of Master Cleanser.  While I dined on my fresh lemon juice and cayenne pepper concoction I kept waiting for my body to rebel against the toxins that were supposedly seeping out of every pore…it never happened. I expected to be fatigued and experience a steady, dull a headache because of the toxins leaving my body. The book promised I'd feel better soon, but oddly enough, I never felt bad!  I was HUNGRY but other than that, I felt fine. Then it dawned on me! Perhaps the negative side effects listed in the Master Cleanser are NOT actually caused by the toxins leaving one's body, but in fact, they are the beginning stages of ketosis and carb withdrawal!  In past years, when I'd followed the Master Cleanser, I'd had several days feeling like 'death warmed over' all the while assuming it was because my body was ridding itself of toxins. But this time I only felt hungry. That's when I decided to read up on detoxing cleanses. In my research I found that the original author of the famous Master Cleanser was convicted of murder by practicing medicine without a license! Yikes! Let me rename that the Infamous Master Cleanser! After reading several other articles I concluded that maybe I didn't actually need to detox my body. In fact, one statement pretty much summed up all I read about detoxing, when it said… very delicately: "That's what your F-ing liver is for..." Thought provoking!  Could my body's organs actually manage detoxing me without my drinking gallons of fresh squeezed lemon juice? Perhaps it could! Detox aside, I was pleased to learn that, by regularly reducing carbs, I didn't experience the negative effects carb withdrawals during my cleanse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this please leave a comment to encourage others to read it!